Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Most Memorable Christmas

Adelbert Asay aka Santa
One hot summer day as we sat in Grandma's living room sipping lemonade, a grandson, Matt asked, "Grandma, what was the best Christmas you ever had?"  Grandmother told him this story:

Many years ago, though it seems like yesterday, our means were quite limited.  We knew Christmas was coming.  We had six little children at that time, who we loved very much, and we wanted to have such a nice Christmas for them. 

So Grandpa hooked up the team and went to the mountain for a load of wood.  He brought it down and took it to Brother M.D. Harris, who said, "Delbert take that load of wood over to the school, and I'll give you $8.00 for it."

Grandpa took the wood to the school and received a check for $8.00.  He then came home, and he said to me, "Mama, this will have to be the Christmas.  It is all I've got and all I can get.  I'm going to give the check to you, and you do the best you can with it."

I went into the bedroom and put on a nice dress and combed my hair.  Then I knelt down and told the Lord our circumstances and the money I had.  I asked Him to direct me that day - where I should go and do the best I could.

I felt good about it and went up to Main Street and cashed the check.  Then I went up to Bishop Cutler's, and I paid 80cents tithing on that check. I then went back to town and every store I went in, I got something we needed.

When I got home and the parcels were opened I had: a chicken, some sugar, some eggs, flour, candy, and a tiny gift for each child - and a little suit for Ab.

Papa brought us home a Christmas tree which we decorated with popcorn and cranberries.

We knew the Lord had guided my footsteps to bargains all over town, and I even got a little something for Papa and I.  This was the most outstanding Christmas we had in those early years.

Aunt Gladys, who had joined us in Grandma's living room said, "This was our best Christmas ever, and it was a real testimony to us children of the value of tithing and praying to Heavenly Father in time of need."

No comments:

Post a Comment