Sunday, December 12, 2010

Martin Calvin and John Boice Document

Martin Calvin Boyce
Transcribed from above letter written in Grandmother Asay's handwritting


John Boice - Patriarch

"These. Few questions you mentioned. Answers

 1. My Grand Father John Boice. 1. wife is Jane Hearns (died young)
Inserted 2. He married Mary Ann Barzee


Mary Ann Barzee Boice
 The saints had to cross a lake to attend their meetings. They crossed by Boat. The Boat sank out in the lake - all aboard were drowned. At that time, it was advisable for men to have the women sealed to worthy men. 2 of the young ladies were sealed to my grand Father John Boice. They had a elderly lady sealed to him known as Old Auntie to us, but she was cared for by my grand parents. It is writen that Grand Father John Boice said the Prophet Joseph was the only man he could not pin his shoulders to the mat, (wrestle for pure entertainment)
Prophet Joseph Smith Jr.
Now for the item you ask for. My Father Martin Calvin Boice was Born. April 7. 1844 at Crook Creek Hancock County Ill. At that time, the Prophet Joseph Smith in grate danger by the mob a crats. They wanted to kill him. The Saints did all they could to protect the prophet from these wicked people by hiding him in their homes. At this time, my grand parents hid the prophet in their home. Thus he (inserted: my Father 2 months old) was held in the Arms of our beloved Prophet Joseph Smith. But the wicked men later caught the prophet put him in Carthage jail. On June 27 1844 the mob gathered broke in the jail and shot Hyrum Smith the prophets Brother also the Prophet Joseph Smith. My grand father rushed to the scene as soon as the alarm was given; but it was over.

My Grandmother told me this It always made me feels so sad - I did not talk about it much.

I appreciate your efforts more than you know.

By to all.
Love and Blessings
Mom

1 comment:

  1. thank you for posting all these wonderful things about my ancestors. and believe it or not John boice is actually my great great great great grand father. and thank you for posting stuff about my great great grampa Achillies brown and myrtle boice brown. its just amazing learning about them.Emily

    ReplyDelete